Home

Monday, January 19, 2015

The Last Cuddle Bear




I was recently contacted by a friend of mine who asked if I would be able to make some teddy bears for her to use as Photography props. She volunteers her time for an organisation that gives photographic memories to families that have experienced stillbirths, premature births, or have children with serious and terminal illnesses. She told me that a lot of the bears that have been donated for her to use are beautiful but far to big compared to the babies she photographs so she was looking for something quite small (around 10cm) 

I searched Ravelry for hours looking for the perfect little bear but none of them seemed right so I decided to design my own. I wanted something simple using basic crochet stitches, fast to make and I wanted to use 8ply yarn as that is what I mostly have in my stash. That is how the Last Cuddle Bear was created.

I am sharing the pattern here in the hopes that other people might wish to make their own to donate to a similar cause. Contact your local hospital and ask them how if you can donate any bears you make to them. 

With the help of my friend, we have set up a page on facebook where we are hoping to spread our little project and get as many people as we can to donate bears to their local hospitals. You can visit the page on facebook by clicking here. We'd love to see pictures of any bears you make so please post them on that page or alternatively email pictures to sixlittlemice@gmail.com or post them on the Six Little Mice page. Happy Hooking!


sc- Single Crochet
sc2tog- Single crochet 2 stitches together. Decrease made
FO- Finish Off. 

Using 8ply yarn and a 3.5mm crochet hook this bear comes in at exactly 10cm for me. If you've got thicker or thinner yarn feel free to adjust your hook size.

**This pattern is still in "draft mode" so if you encounter any errors just let me know and i'll fix them asap. I'm going to add some step by step pictures and tidy the pattern up in the next week or so. 

Body
Round 1: 6sc in magic ring (6)
Round 2: 2sc in each sc around (12)
Round  3: *2sc in next sc, sc 1* repeat around (18)
Round  4: * 2sc in next sc, sc 2* repeat around (24)
Round  5: *2sc in next sc, sc 3* repeat around (30)
Round 6 -8: sc around
Round 9: 2sctog, sc 3
Round 10: sc around
Round 11: sc2tog, sc 2
Round 11-12: sc around
Round 13: sc2tog, sc 1
Round 14: sc around
FO. Leave a long tail so you can atatch the head. Stuff before you join the head


Head
Round 1: 6sc in magic ring (6)
Round 2: 2cs in each sc around (12)
Round  3: *2sc in next sc, sc 1* repeat around (18)
Round 4-5: sc around
Round 6: 2sc in each of the next 4, sc around (22)
Round 6: *2sc, sc* x4, sc around (26)
Round 7: *2sc, sc 2* x 4, sc around (30)
Round 8-9: sc around
Round 10: *sc2tog, sc 3* repeat around
Round 11: *sc2tog, sc 2* repeat around
Round 12: *sc2tog, sc 1* repeat  around
Round 13: sc2tog around. FO


Arms
Round 1: 6sc in magic ring
Round 2: *2sc in next stitch, sc 1* repeat around (9)
Round 3: sc around (9)
Round 4: Bubble stitch in next, sc around
Round 5: sc2tog x 2, sc around
Round 6-10: sc around. Stuff now
Round 11: sc2tog around


Legs
Round 1: 6sc in magic ring
Round 2: 2sc in each st around (12)
Round 3-4: sc around
Round 5: *sc2tog x 3*, sc around
Round 6-12: sc around. Stuff now
Round 13: sc2tog around FO

Ears
Round 1: 4sc in magic ring
Round 2: ch 1, turn and sc 2 stitches in each sc. FO (8)

Assembly
Using the long tail left over from the body of the bear sew the head to the body.
Attach each arm and the ears and then the legs.

2 comments:

  1. Try this template for your blog
    http://bangashtemplates.blogspot.com/2014/11/magazine-blogger-free-template.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love this little bear so much, and it's so quick to work up in 8ply! I think I've found a tiny error in the pattern, however. For the body, Round 11 seems to be listed twice (I only noticed after I stopped and recounted at Round 12). Here's hoping I can get a few more finished this week. I'd love to get these little guys sent out on their way~

    ReplyDelete